home about bucket list

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Storms of This Life

Have you ever just thought about how grateful you are to be ALIVE?  Thank you Jesus.

This week has been wonderful in many ways.  I've spent the week with about fifty Somali Bantu kids from Columbus teaching them about God and spending time with them.  My church has been outreaching to the Bantu people in Columbus, so this week a bunch of us have put on a mini VBS for the kids, from preschool to 6th grade.  It's been a great experience... I'm in charge of about ninth 4th through 6th graders.  I've been able to connect with some of them and just be their friend.  They love to run (seriously, I've never seen so much energy), and sing and dance and shout.  There's been several more challenges to the week than I expected, but being flexible is part of the fun and growth of the experience.  A little girl named Fardosa today told me that she was born in Kenya.  She's 10 years old!!  I keep praying that God will open these children's hearts up to know Him, especially since they are all Muslim.  My job is to be an example and a shining light, which I pray to God is happening.  But to be honest, it's been three days so far, and I'm thoroughly exhausted.


 Face painting with the kids from my church :)

Most of my Bantu kids :)

Besides the craziness of this week helping at Somali Camp, another circumstance has occurred.  A dear friend of mine's mother passed away on Sunday night.  She died of breast cancer after struggling for two years. It's been a rough few days, just realizing the change that is taking place in their family.  And it doesn't even directly affect me, it just makes me sad.  But I know that God is working.  I know He is.  He has this family in the palm of His hand, and He's holding them tight in His arms.  Please pray for my friend Hannah and the rest of her family as they are dealing with her loss.

Sometimes I ask why.  Why, God, would you let something so terrible happen like that?




This song has helped me remember the truth. 


Jeremiah 29:11 tells us, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"


Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." 


And I know God's promises will never fail.

1 comment:

  1. looks like a lot of fun! it's always nice to spread god's words to kids- it gives you a new perspective. i'll be praying for you and your friend

    ReplyDelete